Friday, July 21, 2006

Turtle Power

Okay, Comic Con time, personally, I wouldn't go to this nasty festival of dress up for all the exclusive, alternative, Planet Hoth Chewbacca's in China. Hollywood has really begun to take this seriously in the last five years after X-Men and Spidey made the genre profitable again. So there are Bazillions of news stories pop'n from the Con. Which will the casual superhero movie fan and 1980's child care about? I will try to filter them for you.

First up the poster boys of 1980's small press success, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Many remember the cartoon (ugh), many remember the films, which took a similar turn to Superman (the first one was good and then....). I remember the great original comic, which was much more serious. Believe me, no one ever, ever said "Cowabunga!" That was a Hollywood asshole who did that.

This new trailer (HERE!) looks quite impressive, with a bit of the comedy that I guess people now expect from TMNT, but it does seem to be the closest to the original material I have seen yet! I kind of like it, and they certainly move better than DareDevil did.

I still find it strange that the Turtles ever hit the big time like they did. Why them and not "Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters?" (I swear it was a real comic, although it was just a sad copy of Turtles, trying to get that Turtle Power. In a way aren't we all, hunting for that Turtle Power?)

No comments: