Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Ronin: Hollywood Love's Frank Miller

Oh, why did this happen now?

When I was 12 and Frank Miller was the long haired, cool looking rock star among comic creators, I wished that Hollywood would worship him and see him for the genius he was. Now, as a 34 years old, I still see Miller's work as brilliant, but also sadly pubescent and overly macho the way a four or five year old boy is macho when he wants ice cream now and that means he gets ICE CREAM NOW DAMMIT!

I still enjoy Frank's long overdue rise to power and I hope he finds great achievement in his film version of the great Will Eisner's The Spirit, which is genius on a more eloquent level. I only wish that Alan Moore could be heralded the way that Miller is. I wonder what Moore thinks of this.

Ronin is the next thing I read after Batman: The Dark Knight Returns kicked my ass into my brain. It's good. Really good and really violent. Not Watchmen, not even close, but good.

Five year old violent kid. Is it really a wonder that Hollywood loves Frank Miller, but doesn't get Alan Moore? Someday someone will..

The Hollywood Reporter has the story (here)



Warners ready for Miller's 'Ronin' comic


By Borys Kit

May 2, 2007
The next Frank Miller adaptation is one step closer to the big screen.

"Ronin," an early Miller comic miniseries from the early 1980s, has landed at Warner Bros. Pictures, which has acquired feature film rights. Sylvain White ("Stomp the Yard") is in negotiations to direct.

Miller, a comic book auteur, has developed a Hollywood following, with such titles as "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" and "Sin City," which Robert Rodriguez adapted into a 2005 film. Miller's "300," adapted by Zack Snyder, cut its way to $206.9 million at the domestic boxoffice. Miller created "Ronin," published by DC Comics, after his acclaimed run on the Marvel Comics series "Daredevil" in the early '80s.

The story centers on a ronin who is reincarnated in a dystopic near-future New York populated by squatters, factions and mutants. The ronin must try to destroy a demon with a mystic sword, which also is found in New York.

7 comments:

Kell Trenzer said...

I was thinking we'd have Genndy Tartakovsky direct it.

Stuff Daddy said...

That.... would be nice huh?

Superdave said...

Tartakovsky would be perfect, especially since Samurai Jack was one big ripoff of Ronin (albeit a much cooler and more successful one - Jack Attack!)
Think they could talk Ken Watanabe into the lead?

Stuff Daddy said...

Would Ken Watanabe play the modern amputee kid too? I still don't understand how he becomes Asian. The basic story is in serious need of some originality. You have the computer, which is like a female version of "H.A.L.," the back and forth thru time gig, the Deja Vu repeating thing, (both from 'Dead Again'), the Samurai thing... I would love to see the movie spill back and forth between feudal Japan and the ultra future, maybe at times merging both ends. I really need to read it again, it's been at least 10 years.

Stuff Daddy said...

Also, the evil demon thing... That's in everything. I do like his weird bumps on his head though... They better keep those!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I couldn't find the sarcasm button about the Genndy thing.

Stuff Daddy said...

The Director is Sylvain White (I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer, Stomp The Yard) I'm not excited by his past work, but you never know?