Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bruce Leeroy Is Still My Hero!

I just joined one of those facebook/myspace things which asks me for my favorite movie list. My favorite movie is easy, anyone who knows me knows it's "The Third Man." My favorite second film is a hard pick, I probably have hundreds of them.

Anyway, I had the film "The Last Dragon" on my list and a friend asked me if that was the Bruce Lee story. It is not. It couldn't be farther from it. It is a piece of low grade 'B' movie, 1980's silliness. It is a dumb movie, but I really love it, especially the end. Where else do you get Motown music at its worst like Debarge's "Rythym of the Night" bad karate and a super cool hero named Bruce Leeroy. Its not art, but when the kicking songs like "The Glow" and "The Last Dragon" kick in, my ten year old self is jumping up and down on the couch Saturday morning style.


To me, the next few minutes may be perfection in the eyes of childhood's heroic redemption. I won't be offended if you disagree.



And since we're talking about it, here's a list of films on the thumbs up list, not at all a full list, but a good start. Number one doesn't change.

Long Live Harry Lime!!

1. The Third Man
2. Lost In Translation
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Ghost World
5. Do the Right Thing
6. Rushmore
7. The 39 Steps (1935)
8. High Fidelity
9. The Seven Samurai
10. Mad Dog and Glory
11. True Romance
12. Murder, My Sweet
13. Spirited Away
14. Leon - The Professional
15. The Lady from Shanghai
16. Spider-Man
17. X2: X-Men United
18. Blazing Saddles
19. The Last Dragon ing
20. Clerks
21. Reservoir Dogs
22. Almost Famous
23. Yojimbo
24. Batman Begins
25. Grand Illusion
26. Hollywood Shuffle
27. Apocalypse Now
28. X-Men
29. Catch Me If You Can
30. Love Actually
31. Princess Mononoke
32. Raiders of the Lost Ark
33. Unbreakable
34. Sin City
35. Pulp Fiction
36. The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring
37. The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers
38. The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
39. Star Wars
40. The Empire Strikes Back
41. Good Will Hunting
42. The Shawshank Redemption
43. The Hidden Fortress
44. Rashomon
45. Down by Law
46. The Sixth Sense
47. Trainspotting
48. My Life as a Dog
49. Ghostbusters
50. Diva
51. The Silence of the Lambs
52. V for Vendetta
53. GoodFellas
54. Blade Runner
55. The Usual Suspects
56. Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai
57. The Godfather
58. What's Eating Gilbert Grape
59. The Incredibles
60. The Fifth Element
61. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
62. Young Frankenstein
63. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
64. The Sound of Music
65. Caddyshack
66. The Nightmare Before Christmas
67. The Shining
68. Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
69. Full Metal Jacket
70. Platoon
71. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
72. The Wizard of Oz
73. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
74. The Breakfast Club
75. Snatch.
76. Memento
77. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
78. The Bourne Identity
79. There's Something About Mary
80. The Abyss

Update: I forgot "The Muppet Movie!" I put that at number eight. Knock everything else down a peg. -SD

No comments: